September 14, 2021
Insights provided by Eurofins
Labeling food correctly and in accordance with national regulations is essential in order to meet SQF Edtion 9 requirements. A failure to meet mandatory requirements can have serious consequences, including non-conformances, certificate suspension or withdrawal as well as withdrawal of products from sale.
4 Ways a Food Safety Labeling Service can ensure SQF Edition 9 Requirements are met:
1. Formal Label Verification Reports
• Records of label compliance for all new and existing products shall be maintained.
o Formal Label Verification Reports offer a comprehensive review and record of label compliance.
2. Global Label Review Compliance Centers
• Product Labels shall comply with the food legislation that applies in the country of manufacture and the country(ies) of use or sale if known.
o A global Food Safety Labeling Service allows access to the expertise of a global network of food safety consultants who can review labels to meet access requirements in destination markets.
3. Accuracy of Finished Product Labels
• The site shall document and implement methods to control the accuracy of finished product labels and assure work-in-progress and finished products are true to label with regard to allergens.
o Food Safety Labeling Service experts can review labels and advise on everything from design to allergen declarations.
4. Insurance from vulnerability to food fraud due to mislabeling.
• The methods, responsibility and criteria for identifying the site’s vulnerability to food fraud including mislabeling shall be documented, implemented, and maintained.
o Food Safety Labeling Service experts can identify and correct mislabeling in Allergen Statements, Label Translation, Nutrition and Health Claims, Specifications, Principal Display Panel and Special Claims.